Mold is always an unwelcome visitor in homes. It can negatively affect your health, it’s unsightly, it has a terrible smell, and it can even damage your home. Some homeowners may find themselves with a toxic mold infestation soon after a flood. If you fall into this category, you may wonder what you can do about it.
In this situation, mold remediation is the answer to getting your home back to a healthy, liveable state. Taking care of mold quickly and efficiently is the best way to protect both your property and your checkbook. Here is a brief overview of mold remediation and what to expect during the process.
What is Mold Remediation?
Mold remediation is the process of removing, cleaning, and disinfecting mold-contaminated areas within your home. Specialized equipment ensures complete removal while preventing the growth of new mold in the future.
What Happens During Mold Remediation?
Although every mold remediation situation is different, the process will consist of the following:
- Inspection: Before remediation can begin, your house will undergo an examination to determine the mold growth extent. Samples are taken to determine what kind of mold is in your home.
- Isolation: All areas with mold growth are isolated. The contaminated area is sealed off from the rest of the house to prevent spreading. All the doors and windows will be closed, and polyethylene sheeting covers all other openings.
- Filtration: The air is cleared through air filters to get rid of active spores. Filtration is done to prevent them from sticking around and turning into active fungi.
- Mold cleaning: During this step, porous materials get thrown away because mold tends to ingrain itself deeply in various materials to survive. All mold-contaminated surfaces require scrubbing with a cloth soaked in an antimicrobial solution to ensure all mold gets eliminated for good.
- Sanitization: Once the remediation is complete, your home and belongings are sanitized and deodorized.
How Long is the Mold Remediation Process?
No two mold remediation scenarios are the same. The length of the process depends on several factors. Depending on the amount of mold present, the mold’s location in your home, or how long the mold has been growing, the remediations process’s length will differ. However, the average mold remediation will take anywhere from 1 to 5 days.
Mold Testing Services - Virginia Beach, VA
Air Quality Inc. has been offering mold testing services in the Virginia Beach area for decades, and we’re dedicated to helping you enjoy healthy air in your home. If you suspect that you have a mold problem in your home, we are ready to help.
Once you request a mold test for your home or property, one of our skilled technicians will investigate the area, collect samples for mold, and send the test to a lab for analysis. When your results are in, you’ll get a report detailing the type of mold you have, as well as recommendations for remediation strategies.
To find out more about our mold testing services’ process and cost, reach out to us through our online contact form.