When dealing with toxic mold in the home or workplace, the topic might consume your time and energy until it’s resolved and eliminated. This stress is partly due to the potential harm mold can cause to those living or working in the building. But does that mean that as soon as you identify or see the mold, it is toxic?
That’s what many think, but the answer might surprise you. So first, let’s identify what toxic mold is and if all mold is toxic. This will help give you a better idea of when and if you should remove mold in your home (Spoiler alert: Always remove mold!)
Is All Mold Toxic?
Not all molds produce toxic effects in humans, but that doesn’t mean you should leave a non-toxic mold growing inside your home. According to the CDC, toxic or not, every type of mold can still leave you with allergy symptoms. Additionally, a mold of any kind can damage the structure of your home. Leaving non-toxic mold to grow can lead you to pay for it months or years down the road.
Which Mold is Toxic?
Exposure to toxic mold can be dangerous. These molds produce toxins known as mycotoxins which can cause respiratory issues, allergic reactions, and other life-threatening illnesses.
There isn’t just one type of mold that we consider toxic. Many different species of mold can be harmful. Black mold is one of the more commonly known types as it has the distinguishing identifier of being black and easier to spot after growing. Unfortunately, black mold is not the only type of toxic mold. Therefore, it would not be okay to assume you are safe if the mold you spot in your home is not black.
So, how do you know if you have toxic mold?
How to Identify Toxic Mold in Your Home
Keep in mind that the only way to guarantee what type of mold you have is with a test, but other telling signs may support your theory.
- Smell a musty or rotting odor
- See visible growth
- Notice dark, grey, orange, or brown colors
- Experience health symptoms
These are just a few ways to identify if toxic mold is growing in your home. On the other hand, you may also notice one or more of these identifying markers, take a test, and receive results that are not a form of toxic mold.
Do You Have Toxic Mold?
Here’s the bottom line, mold has the potential to be extremely dangerous to our families and those around us. So if you suspect mold in your home or workplace, it’s essential to get it tested as soon as possible as that’s the only reliable way to confirm your suspicions.
Our consultants can provide you with an effective test to properly detect mold, identify the source and type of mold you are dealing with, and give you trustworthy recommendations on how to go about eliminating it.