Indoor air quality has an enormous impact on our overall health. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, “the average American spends over 90% of their life indoors”. With all that time you spend inside, it’s essential to enjoy good air quality.
Unfortunately, several factors in our everyday lives could be causing the quality of our indoor air to decline. Here are four indoor air pollutants to be aware of inside your home.
Household Cleaning Products
Have you ever stopped to look at the ingredients list of your window cleaner? What about your beloved oven degreaser? When the substances we use to clean our home come in contact with the air, they can form dangerous compounds that can negatively affect our health. Studies have shown that professional cleaning substances can even trigger asthma symptoms over time in people who are repeatedly exposed to them.
Mold spores often appear in homes that are suffering from poor ventilation. Mold is often the hidden cause of many illnesses, and prolonged exposure can result in many respiratory diseases. You’ll find mold in your home in areas that are prone to high levels of humidity, such as the bathroom or kitchen.
Radon is a colorless, odorless radioactive gas that originates from the soil in concrete building materials. If the building is not ventilated correctly, high levels of radon can build up inside. This type of gas is only identifiable through radon detectors, which makes it especially dangerous. Exposure to radon for extended periods can result in the development of lung cancer.
If you suspect that your building could have high radon levels, it’s best to contact a professional indoor air quality specialist to do a proper test.
Carbon monoxide can be found in any home since it comes from various sources. It can make its way into the house through leaks in your furnace, gas lines, automobile exhaust, gas stoves, and even tobacco smoke.
Owners of gas stoves need to be especially wary of carbon monoxide levels in their homes. In the winter, some homeowners with gas stoves may be reluctant to open their windows, as this would let cold air into the house.
However, a lack of fresh air and ventilation can cause a buildup of carbon monoxide to occur. At first, exposure to carbon monoxide may cause you to feel sleepy, but if left unchecked, you may begin to experience dizziness, headaches, confusion, and nausea.
ACQ - Your Neighborhood Indoor Air Quality Specialists
Your first step towards better indoor air should be to schedule an air quality test with a professional indoor air quality specialist. Air Quality Inc. provides air quality tests that will reveal what kind of indoor air pollutants you have. Once identified, we’ll work together to help you have healthier, cleaner indoor air for your and your family.
Reach out and request a quote by filling out our online contact form. A member of our team will be in touch within one business day.